For immediate release: July 1, 2022 (22-096)
Get hold of: DOH Communications
OLYMPIA — As a lot of get ready for Fourth of July gatherings and summer season outings, the Washington State Department of Well being (DOH) desires to remind folks to remain healthier and celebrate safely.
“Have a safe summer season. Be aware of hazards and consider safety measures to protect your self and individuals about you,” said Umair A. Shah MD, MPH, Secretary of Overall health. “A minor arranging can make a significant difference.”
Some easy means to put together for a protected and healthier summer season include things like:
- Observe drinking water protection. Always supervise youthful small children playing in or around the h2o. Put on a Coastline Guard-permitted lifetime jacket that suits you when swimming, kayaking, paddle boarding, or boating. Keep in mind that even h2o that appears warm on the floor can direct to chilly drinking water shock that will incapacitate good swimmers.
- Learn how to beat the heat and avoid heat-relevant overall health problems. Never leave any person or pet in a parked motor vehicle. Drink loads of fluids and keep in air-conditioned spaces when attainable. Have on lightweight, mild-coloured, loose-fitting garments, and avoid becoming outside the house throughout the best parts of the working day. Use superior SPF sunblock, even when the sky is cloudy or overcast. Test in on household, mates and neighbors who are elderly or could have to have assist, and make absolutely sure animals have entry to h2o and defense from the heat.
- Comply with food items safety guidelines and recall to clean your hands. Secure your spouse and children and mates from foodborne illnesses. Wash your fingers with soap and sanitize all cooking and having surfaces. Continue to keep hot foodstuff warm and chilly foods chilly, prepare dinner foodstuff to risk-free interior temperatures, and put meals absent immediately after no extra than two hrs at area temperature. Report any foodborne sicknesses to your regional health and fitness division.
- Reduce fireworks injuries. Look at fireworks shows from a harmless distance. Usually have an grownup supervise fireworks activities and do not allow young children to participate in with or ignite fireworks. Phone 911 right away if anyone is hurt.
- For a non-critical injuries or illness, consider traveling to your primary treatment supplier or an urgent care clinic if you want health-related interest. Likely to the crisis office only for genuine emergencies can assistance cut down the affect on our hospitals through fast paced situations like holiday seasons.
- Retain defending by yourself and other people from COVID-19. Ensure you are up to date on vaccinations and boosters. Put on a mask in crowded areas and although traveling. Take a COVID-19 check if you feel unwell, have been in make contact with with a person with COVID-19, or are scheduling to show up at an function or vacation. If you test constructive, continue to be residence to enable safeguard your community.
By using ways to get ready, we can all do our aspect to support maintain our communities secure in the course of the holiday getaway weekend and over and above.
Printable Version (PDF)